Sunday, May 20, 2012

Solar Eclipse: May 20, 2012

Today was an annular solar eclipse.  We didn't get a very good view, as the sun was setting during the eclipse.  However, I brought the family out to the college, which has a good view of the western horizon.  The physics teacher at the college pulled into the parking lot half an hour after we did, with the exact same idea.  Here are the pictures I got.

This is a projection of the Sun through my telescope.  The green circles indicate sun spots.

A close up of my viewing set-up.  You can see the Sun and my son.

This was as much of the eclipse that I could see on the cardboard.  The setting Sun grew too dim to see after this.


The setting Sun was dim enough to allow for direct photographs to be taken.  This is one of the best shots that I got.