Friday, April 20, 2012

Saying Goodbye to Bug Bot

Last month, I built a small robot as part of our youth robotics program that we are trying to get off the ground.  It's named Bug Bot because of the antennas that are used for collision detection.  I used Bug Bot as a demonstration of an autonomous robot.  The other robots we had were radio controlled, and I wanted something to differentiate a robot from any other toy.  I've shown off Bug Bot to a couple of groups.

The process of building Bug Bot can be found on this page.

I recently got a programming cable from VEX, and I am working on programming the PIC  Microcontroller v0.5 with RobotC.  Unfortunately, that means Bug Bot needs to be disassembled.

Image Source: shirtoid.com


So far, the programming has not gone well.  The trouble is with the cable drivers and my laptop.  I have not been able to upload the firmware required to start programming.  The other faculty member who is leading this project had similar issues before he got it to work.  I'll get it to work yet, darn it!