Monday, March 12, 2012

Will Mason County Schools go 1:1 with iPads?

This Saturday, I was talking with a friend of mine who is a teacher at the local high school.  She told me that Apple had come to the high school to talk about putting an iPad in the hand of every student.  She asked my opinion, and I simply parroted Dan Meyer's view on iBooks 2 and Apple Author.  So really, the effectiveness of this initiative still depends on the ingenuity of the teachers.  If the teachers can see past the iBooks and use the iPad to its fullest, creative extent, then this can succeed.

Ideas like this have been considered by Mason County before.  Usually, a lack of money is the biggest obstacle.

It was only today that a new angle on this bit of gossip came to me.  I always have one section of college algebra students from Mason County each fall.  It's always been a struggle to keep the students engaged because they already know most of the content. (Most students have ACT scores to place them into Calculus.)

However, if I'm going to have a room full of students with iPads and are already prepared to go beyond college algebra, then this fall could be a really fun semester.  Here's hoping the money will be there.