Friday, March 9, 2012

Playing with Robots

One of the faculty members at MCTC roped me into helping build a robotics team in Maysville.  He was nice enough to lend me one of his VeX robot kits.  I just finished my first robot.  The intention of the kit was to build a remote controlled robot, but I decided to start with an autonomous robot. 

The problem with building an autonomous robot is that the programming requires extra cables and software, which I am missing.  The robot is supposed to detect when it has hit a wall, backup, and turn.  As you can see, it does not backup far enough to miss the obstacle.
Picture of the construction steps can be found on my Google Sites website.

Future robot events include Farm and Family Night at the college this coming Tuesday, and the Robotics Merit Badge with the Boy Scouts in April.