Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Bye-bye to my iPad

I returned my iPad to the college yesterday.  However, it wasn't a sad day because it was replaced by an iPad 2.
Out with the old, in with the new.
I wasn't too impressed with the first generation iPad.  My biggest complaint is that you cannot duplicate the screen to a projector through the VGA adapter for every app.  There were a few apps that would allow it, but not enough.  The iPad 2 does duplicate the screen, so the whole class can see what I am looking at on my iPad 2.

The new iPad is lighter and thinner than the first generation.  It's not much of a different, but it is still noticeable.  My one concern is that I'll forget that I'm carrying it, put it down, and walk away without it.

I'm still not sure how I'm going to use it in the classroom, but I'm looking forward to figuring out how.  One of the advantages over our SmartBoard is that I can switch between apps quickly.  The disadvantage over the SmartBoard is that I can't record what was shared with the students to post on the class BlackBoard site.  In addition, one of our experiments will be using FaceTime or Skype for virtual office hours.

My old iPad was handed down to one of my colleagues.  According to his Facebook account, he is very happy with it.