Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A New Semester Begins

I've got seven sections this semester. Four of those classes are combined sections of MAT 55/MAT 65, so it's really five sections. In addition, I have one section each of Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, and Calculus II.

For the fourth year in a row, I have a College Algebra section full of high school students. The hard part is keeping them motivated because they have had Precalculus at the high school. Since our College Algebra is modeling based, I can keep them busy with projects.

For the second year in a row, I have a high school student in Calculus II. The parents of this student asked me about enrolling her in Calculus I two summers ago. She got a 31 ACT in math as an eighth-grader. If you are feeling dumb right now, don't worry. I got over the feeling in a couple of months.

And yes, I did say "her". I suspect she'll be getting pressure to go into medicine, her father's a cardiologist, but I'll try to steer her to the "noble profession" of mathematics. While speaking of women in mathematics, one of my high school College Algebra students is in Maysville for her first semester. Her plan is to get a Ph. D. in mathematics.