Thursday, March 17, 2011

Meeting With Robert King

Last Thursday, our college was visited by Robert L. King, President of the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education.  The CPE oversees the programs at all of Kentucky's institutions of higher education, including KCTCS.  Dr. King addressed the faculty and staff of the college.  I was impressed by what he had to say.

One of the initiatives for the CPE is on improving K12 education in Kentucky.  K12 education is not part of the CPE's mandate, but the CPE can work to improve teacher education in Kentucky as well as offer meaningful professional development to current teachers.

I met him in the hallway after the meeting, and we talked briefly.  One of his previous jobs was as Chancellor of the State University of New York.  I was raised in Upstate New York, and many of my family has attended SUNY schools.

It was a good meeting, and I have good reason to be optimistic about the future of higher education in Kentucky.