Tuesday, March 1, 2011

In the Thick of It

In my last post on Thursday, I talked about the protests in Wisconsin over the teachers maintaining the right to collective bargaining.  I mentioned that my wife teaches in Ohio, where Senate Bill 5 would also remove collective bargaining right for state employees.  Thursday afternoon, my wife came home with this sign.
Both sides of the sign

She had an emergency union meeting after school.  According to a tentative pay scale, if Senate Bill 5 does not pass, then Governor Kasich's budget will lower my wife's salary by $20,000.

This situation has me asking a few questions.
  1. How many experienced teachers will stay in the profession?  My wife pointed out that people will stay in teaching until they can get a higher paying job.
  2. How can we "fix" education when we are not supporting teachers?  In Wisconsin, the teachers gave into the wage reductions, and the Governor is still trying to remove collective bargaining rights.  It's bad enough that teachers are held accountable for their students' activities outside of school through test scores.
  3. Why does paying more to attract talent only work for investment bank CEO's?  Remember the corporate bonuses that were payed after bailing out the banks.  The justification for the bonuses was that they were necessary for keeping the best executives at the banks.
I'm too worked up to keep typing, so I'll let Jon Stewart finish for me.