Thursday, January 6, 2011

Now, Where Did I Put That Blog?

Oh!  Here it is.

I've been away for quite a while.  I was happy to not worry about math or teaching for two weeks.  I always need a break to recharge the batteries before the new semester.

The college started back with registration on Monday.  I've been busy with advising and preparing for teaching.  Now that I've got a bit of spare time, I'll share a few projects for this semester of which will be interesting to the mathematically and scientifically minded:
  1. Course redesign for developmental mathematics.  The phrase "course redesign" sends the same chills down college faculty's back in the same way as the phrase "education reform" does for public school teachers.  Fortunately for our college, the local administration has been willing to meet the faculty half-way on redesign.  I'll share more on this as the semester progresses.
  2. Introducing computer projects in Contemporary College Mathematics.  I like liberal arts math because it has fun topics for me, and the students are not too stressed about math.  Once they realize that I'm not out to kill them (in this class) then they relax and are ready to learn.  My goal is to use Python with logic, voting theory, and statistics.  This is an experiment for me, so I won't be too worried if it fails.  Don't worry, I won't let the students suffer if it does fail.
  3. Find something interesting to talk about at KYMATYC.  I gave a good talk last year, and I would like to do it again.  The KYMATYC conference is fun to attend.  It's usually before Spring break, so the weather is nice.  It is held at a state park, which means hiking.  Also, the people in KYMATYC are nice, so I look forward to seeing them each year.
  4. A super-secret project that I won't talk about until later.  I'm afraid to jinx it.  I will say that if it pans out, my community college will go where no community college has gone before.
 It's going to be a busy semester.  Good luck to those of you who are starting your own semester.