Thursday, October 28, 2010

What is a Good Way to Run an ACT Prep Class?

One of the services MCTC offers is an ACT preparation class for high school students.  I usually teach one or two of these classes each year.  There are three two-hour sessions, usually over different nights.  In the past, I've spent twenty minutes going over the format of the test and giving general test taking tips, and then spent the rest of the time going over some of the problems on a practice test.  I don't review any mathematics in a systematic fashion.

Nobody has complained about the format, and I get good evaluations afterward.  However, I never get the feeling that I've done anything to better prepare the students for the test.  Does anybody teach and ACT prep class differently?  Is there a good format for teaching ACT prep?